Gorillaz / Jneiro Jarel / Deadbeat / Viktor Marek / Jacques Palminger

Here is some of the stuff ive been bangin’ this week…

as far as albums go… It’s been all about Triple P and Demon Dayz from the Platinum Pied Pipers and the Gorillaz respectively.

I was surprised by the new Gorillaz actually… I had it in my head that it was gonna suck... or sound like Dangermouse the entire time. Well of course it doesn’t and it doesn’t. Demon Dayz is the funkin’ shit… Different from the last and friggin' excellent. MF Doom is on there… Hell I don’t even need to post any of it… you’ll see it everywhere else to be sure… Just go buy it.

It is one of the best albums of 2005 so far.

The PPP album is disappointing only in the fact that there aren’t any NEW bangers... I’ve heard pretty much everything on it already at their live shows or in online interviews…

That might sound like I'm not saying its good... I'M NOT. IT IS. The whole thing is quality Detroit soul. Hell, Steve Spacek is on that shit… not to mention its on Ubiquity… COP IT. PLEASE.

Peep their documentary and some live PA video… here

And my old PPP post… here

See you at Mighty (San Francisco) June 2nd.

as far as CHOOOoons go… here are my top 4… these have been bangin’ my eardrums up.

You know I LUH DAT Philly style funk… Here is some new shit from the Jneiro Jarel full length Three Piece Puzzle…

Jneiro Jarel - Do Yo Thang

See him at the Jazz Café in London on May 21st. No U.S. dates yet.

Next up… a cut I haven’t heard in years… San Francisco house producer Hesohi rinsed it when we played at 222 Club last weekend. A gem… a classic... a jazzy ditty…

Van Morrison - Moondance

Earlier this week... I finally hit up Milk for the first time in months, since I’ve been MIA lately… Let me just say Tuesday nights are still the shit. If you got any love for the Roots, Reggae, Dancehall soundsystem vibe, you gotta roll through on a Tuesday night. The Jah Warrior Shelter Hi Fi… the illest soundsystem on the west coast no less… Jah Yzer, Ivier, and Irie Dole brock out… plus its Milk, so it never gets too thugged out. Anyway…

The night prompted me to pull out some reggae summer vibes… so... here is Turbulence flowin’ over the One for the Road riddim produced by Bobby “Digital B” Dixon.

Turbulence - Turn Your Life Around

Beautiful.

Digital dub producer Deadbeat (Scott Monteith of Montreal) finally released a new full length… New World Observer on ~scape. This one is a gem, and different than his previous efforts… more on a minimal Pole sorta vibe and a bit less melodic than the epic Wild Life Documentaries.

Deadbeat - Slow Rot Rhetoric

Without further adieu the CHOOOOOooon of the week...

Viktor Marek & Jacques Palminger with some b-side action on German label Pudel... with a track called Tüdeldub...

Viktor Marek & Jacques Palminger - Tüdeldub (Pudel 2005)

I NEEED the instrumental of this one maaaaaaan... ill dubby electric bidnazz.

BTW, for you SF cats... M.I.A. is doin’ a FREE in store at Amoeba SF tomorrow at 5pm before the sold out show with LCD Soundsystem. If you don’t like her, I suggest peeping it.

See you there.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

missed it - how was the free M.I.A. show?

7:55 AM  
Blogger *ADORU said...

It was solid. About what you'd expect at a record store. I mean, Amoeba don't really have a proper PA. You need more than 2 Mackies if you want any sort of bass in that space. It was packed out though, almost every aisle to the back of the store. which is the biggest turn out I have ever seen there. Diplo played for about 20 minutes before M.I.A. came on.
piece,
Andrew

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of M.I.A. and LCD, LCD Sound System did a cover of Throw by Carl Craig - including the singing. I was ecstatic, but it seemed like a lot of the people there didn't know the track. Great to see people pay there respects to CC. oh M.I.A. and Diplo rocked too - lots of energy.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that the currently hottest reggae singer who’s worked with the famous Sly n Robbie, Nick Manasseh, and future cut has free music you can download at www.avaleigh.co.uk ?go get it.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home